Valley of Flowers and Hemkund Sahib trek- 2

It would actually begin today. We would be trekking from Govindghat to Ghangria, which was the starting point for both the VoF and Hemkund Sahib trek. We were woken up by our trek leader at 6.30 am and were supposed to start trekking by 8 am, after another briefing. This briefing included some pointers on how to use the trekking pole, the correct way of wearing the trekking shoes and the correct way of carrying a backpack. Most of us got a pouch called the 'ecobag'. This bag is worn around the waist and is used to dispose off any trash we might generate on the way such as chocolate wrappers, biscuit wrappers, etc. It is also used to collect the trash left on the trail by other trekkers. This is a commendable and superb initiative by Indiahikes. The waste thus collected is segregated and then carried all the way down, away from the mountains, where it is finally disposed off.

River Pushpavati accompanied us throughout
This day involved walking for approximately 12 kilometers, plus an additional 4 kilometers of a cab ride. The route is stone-paved all the way to Ghangria. There is no way anybody can get lost, even if that person is as disoriented as I am (..the besties are surely remembering all the times I have claimed to know the route and gotten them lost ;) ). The incline is gradual except for the last 3 kilometers where it gets pretty steep. The entire route is very scenic and the sight of the huge mountains accompanying us, and the sight and the sound of the Pushpavati river fills the mind with peace. The only annoying bit is the sight and smell of mule dung throughout. It was still a welcome change from inhaling noxious fumes and going deaf by the horns blaring continuously.
A-hikin' we will go!

The scenic spot where we stopped for lunch

We set off at a steady pace and I quickly realized that my preparation for this trek was indeed lacking, as I was lagging behind both the bestie and the hubster (and the hubster was even carrying his own backpack, whereas we had offload ours). I carried on however, at my own pace, and made the hubster wait for me at regular intervals :D. This was my first trekking experience and I quickly realized that once the initial worry melted away, all other thoughts also left my mind. There were absolutely no stray thoughts related to work, future, past, or life in general. It was all about the next step and the step after that and the step after that. This was the first time I  had been so totally absorbed in the present moment. Shorts breaks to catch one's breath were spent posing for pics and hydrating. We encountered plenty of pilgrims on the way who would greet us and encourage us to keep moving forward in the name of waheguru. And to my great astonishment, I found that I was actually smiling at the people and talking to them. I was talking to totally random people! Back home, I have been known to cross the road in order to avoid acquaintances walking from the opposite side :D.
Finally! the helipad!


The route has plenty of dhabas where one can take a break and gain nourishment. The bestie would often be waiting at such dhabas for us to catch up. We stopped for lunch just before the steep incline began. The spot was really scenic with beautiful views of the mountain and the river. There was a bridge across the river which we had to cross before the final climb. We had a leisurely lunch and relaxed while waiting for the last trekkers to arrive. The climb post lunch was especially difficult because of a full stomach and the angle of the incline. Besides, we had been walking for over five hours and that too uphill. Finally, the helipad was in sight. This helipad is situated right outside the village and it meant that our destination was extremely close now. We marched on and went absolutely mental on seeing the Ghangria signpost!
We had successfully made it through day 1 of the trek. The trek leader assigned rooms to all of us and was kind enough to put the bestie and I in the same room, which we would be sharing with two other girls. We were staying on the first floor and while climbing the stairs I realized that one of the heads of my left quadriceps was acting funny. I did not pay much attention to it, thinking resting at night would solve the problem. I was proved wrong and how!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bhutan - The fulfilment of a long-held dream!

How a road trip covering 2120 km gave me the courage to quit a job I hated- Final part

Valley of Flowers and Hemkund Sahib- 1